I've had the habit of skipping the most important meal of the day - breakfast. If you are like me and don't have time to make breakfast in the morning, why not opt for yogurt, which is easy enough to throw in your purse or keep a few in your refrigerator at work? In trying to maintain a healthy diet, making sure I eat something for breakfast is definitely on that list. I have included some of my favorite yogurts as well as ice cream. As soon as warmer weather hits, those ice cream cravings just kick in.
1) Chobani is at the top of my list, made with natural ingredients and real fruit, with twice the protein of regular yogurts and is gluten-free. Blueberry (love adding in fresh blueberries), Mango and Honey-Nana have been my favorite Chobani flavors, but I can't wait to try the newest additions - Apple Cinnamon, Blood Orange and Passion Fruit.
2) Yoplait ® has 2x the calcium of the leading yogurt, with 25 delicious flavors for Yoplait® Original. I would really like to try Yoplait® Light with Granola, available in Blueberry, Cherry, Peach and Strawberry and two new flavors for Yoplait ® Greek - Coconut and Cherry Pomegranate.
3) New to me is Ehrmann Bavarian Lowfat Yogurt, available in Cherry, my favorite, along with Strawberry, Peach, Blueberry and Blackberry Pomegranate. Currently Ehrmann All Natural Lowfat Yogurt is distributed in Massachusetts, Connecticut, Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Rhode Island and upstate New York. I'm waiting for them to come to NYC/NJ!
4) Lifeway's Frozen Kefir is a creamy, nutritious and delicious dessert that packs 10 live and active probiotic cultures. It is all natural, high in protein and calcium, gluten-free, 99% lactose free and has 90 calories per serving. Mango is my favorite, but also available in pomegranate, original and strawberry.
5) Clemmy's all natural, sugar-free ice cream is also lactose-free and gluten-free. In lieu of sugar Clemmy's uses xylitol, a natural sweetener. Clemmy's All Natural Sorbet, Ice Cream Bars and All natural Low Fat Ice Cream Bars are a sweet way to add more fiber into your diet. Clemmy's ice cream is available in 13 varieties. I have only tried the Cherry Vanilla Bars once and am already addicted to them. I also look forward to trying the Toasted Almond and Coffee flavors.
6) Coconut Bliss all-organic ice cream is soy-free, dairy-free, cholesterol-free, gluten-free and cane sugar-free, using ingredients such as coconut milk and agave syrup. The ice cream comes in 14 flavors including Ginger Cookie Caramel, Chocolate Walnut Brownie, Mocha Maca Crunch and Lunaberry Swirl, which launched in 2011.
- Kim Weling