To share my support for the Black community, I've included some of my favorite black-owned beauty brands that you'll find in my beauty closet. The next time you shop for makeup, skincare or haircare, consider all the brands that celebrate inclusivity and diversity.
1. Pat McGrath Labs - I have always been in awe of Pat as a makeup artist and had the pleasure of first meeting her back in June 2010 for the launch of COVERGIRL for LeSportsac. I've been a fan of her cosmetics line since it launched at Sephora back in 2016. My favorite from Pat McGrath Labs are the eyeshadow palettes, which always have amazing, richly pigmented hues, from neutrals to jewel tones, and works for a wide range of skin tones.
2. Fenty Beauty by Rihanna - I remember when Fenty Beauty had first launched at Sephora, and Rihanna herself was ringing up customers at the register. Her line was created to offer shades and colors for all different skin tones. I love the Bomb Baby Mini Lip and Face Set, which includes the travel size Lip Luminizer in Fenty Glow and Killawatt Freestyle Highlighter in the Hu$tla Baby.
3. Danessa Myricks Beauty - One of the sweetest, talented makeup artists that has also been on my radar for years, thanks to The Makeup Show. Her work is both amazing and inspiring. My favorites from her line include the Illuminating Veil and Waterproof Cushion Liner.
4. Lauren Napier Beauty - I remember how happy I was for Lauren, when she had first exhibited her line at The Makeup Show. I'm obsessed with CLEANSE facial cleansing wipes. I always have them in my cosmetic bag and take them with me when I travel. I use them not only for removing makeup but also for touching up my eye makeup, especially when my eyeliner is running. I'm almost out of wipes, so I plan on trying the LA ROSE facial cleansing wipes infused with rosewater, starfruit and cucumber extracts.
|5. Briogeo - I first met Briogeo founder Nancy Twine back in 2015 at Sephora and I've been hooked on her products ever since, especially the Blossom & Bloom Ginseng + Biotin Volumizer. At the time her company was still fairly new and upcoming, so I'm so happy to see how much her company has grown. I would love to try the Scalp Revival charcoal + coconut oil micro-exfoliating shampoo next. Also, Briogeo is one of Sephora's birthday gift options for 2020 so I recommend choosing it!|
6. Yelle Skincare - I had first met Yelle-founder Yandy Smith back in December 2017 when she had walked me through her natural plant-based skincare line and The Essential 3-Piece System that was just about to launch, comprised of the Awakening Milk & Honey Cleanser, Awakening Milk & Honey Toner and Awakening Daily Moisturizer. Her skincare line was designed specifically for melanin-rich skin. My favorite if her products is the toner, made with calming aloe, rose hip oil and hyaluronic acid.
7. Nyakio - Nyakio Kamoche Grieco's line celebrates traditional clean and green ingredients from around the world. My favorite is the Maracuja & Yangu Soothing Oil. I'd like to try the Sweet Almond Cleansing Oil Balm.
- Kim Weling